Friday 29 February 2008

Chilli Con Carne

This is one of the easiest dishes in the world to make. I made it a couple of days ago - we're on a pretty tight budget at the moment, so budget dishes are the way forward. We'd bought a huge thing of beef mince in bulk, half of which became hamburgers and pasta sauce as described
in my last post. So with what remained I made chilli.

This is quick and simple and, as it happens, really good hangover food. ;)

Take a some mince, throw it into a pot with some oil. Let it brown a bit. Add some garlic and onion and some fresh chillis cut up according to taste. Throw in a tin of kidney beans, and a tin of diced tomatoes OR some tomato puree. Or both if you are so inclined. Throw in some herbs - fresh if youhave them, but the dry ones work too. Add some Worcestor sauce, or soy sauce.
Mrs. Balls Chutney is a fabulous addition if you happen to be in South Africa, or somewhere else that stocks Mrs. Balls. And then let it cook and simmer for a bit. I often throw in some cayenne pepper too, because I like it HOT, but that's up to your taste and how hot you like it.

Simple huh? What my dad calls a one-pot meal. You can serve it on rice, with some grated cheese on top (YUM!), or with bread. It's really good the next day on toast. It's a great dish if you are feeding a lot of people, and don't feel the need to feed 'em fancy. Good for parties where you want people to eat and mingle. Plus, like I said, the leftovers make killer hangover food. *grin* Add a couple of cooked veggies or a big green salad for the obligatory veggie stuff. And voila!



NOTE: Once I get my recipe books I'll be starting to do more experimental stuff. In the mean time, you'll just have to deal with my staples, k?? :)

No comments: