Saturday 23 February 2008

She cooks?

Yes, she cooks.

I have this plan. I have a bunch of recipes books, which, at the moment are in transit from England, but which should be here sometime towards the end of March. My plan is to work my way through them, cooking all those weird and wonderful recipes which most people ignore as being too odd, or too complicated. Actually, I plan to cook every single recipe in every single book I own. Within reason - I may have to alter ingredients sometimes, since it's tricky to get things like ostrich or kudu steak in New Zealand. Hm. If and when I run out of recipes, I will go looking for strange and exotic things to cook.

Do you have a weird recipe you've been longing to try, but are worried it's gonna suck? Send it to me. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

For example, last night, for our two year anniversary, I finally cooked something I have been wanting to make since I was about sixteen and read Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel for the first time: quail in rose-petal sauce. And it was awesome! But more of that in its very own post, methinks.

See, I love food. I love cooking strange and wonderful things. I love experimenting with food. And I like to write. So why not marry these tendencies together. I once caused an accidental email overload for my email list (this was before I had a blog of any kind) by discussing an incident involving me trying to make ravioli from scratch, without the benefit of a pasta machine. I don't even know if I still have a copy of the 'ravioli incident', but I'll see if I can find it somewhere, and if I can, I shall post it. These are the things legends are made of.

Welcome to my kitchen. Try to avoid the flying mayhem.

5 comments:

Sikander7 said...

Hi

I will add you and check it out regularly.

Sikander

One said...

Flying mayhem? Is one meant to toss ravioli against the ceiling to check whether it's cooked or is that strictly a spaghetti thing? As for quail - I sat through er... was it 'No Reservations'? The movie (certainly not a flilm!) about a restaurant with Catherine Zeta Jones and er... a guy that needs a shave... Aaron Eckhart, I think. Anyway, the movie was crap (they seemed to have mislaid vast sections of the script and simply filled in the time with montage after montage) but Ms Jones's character had a fondness for quail.

One said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
One said...

Alright, where do you hide the sex and violence? Do I need a password? I just got:

Content Warning

Some readers of this blog have contacted Google because they believe this blog's content is objectionable. In general, Google does not review nor do we endorse the content of this or any blog. For more information about our content policies, please visit the Blogger Terms of Service

(Well, that'll learn me... Sodding grammaro!)

Unknown said...

I fixed it! No longer adult. Weird. Nothing dodgy about food, right? RIGHT?!!