Monday 26 March 2012

Breakfast scones

These are out of one of the Eating for Sustained Energy books, to which I have linked before, because they are so completely wonderful.

Preheat your oven to 200C.
Sift 1.5 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, a teaspoon of bicarb (although I discovered we didn't have any so I left this out, and it didn't cause any huge difference) and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Add half a cup of oatbran, a grated apple, a handful of sultanas, and about 8 halves of dried apricots. Mix it all together.

Then add a beaten egg to 3 tablespoons of melted butter and half a cup of skimmed milk together and add them to the dry ingredients. (The skimmed part is important for the low GI thing, but I used full-strength milk.)

Mix with a fork till it's combined and doughy. Spoon into a greased muffin tray and bake for 15-20 mins or until you can skewer them cleanly.

These are really delicious. The recipe says either the sultanas or the apricots, but I did both, cos that's how I roll.

Great, yummy, healthy snack for taking on the road with you or grabbing with one hand when you have a crying baby in the other. ;)

These books are amazing. Seriously, if you're GI conscious for whatever reason, you should get your paws on them. I mean it.

Ratings:
Me: Thumbs up
Husband: Thumbs up

No comments: