Monday 26 March 2012

Seared Tuna with Pepper-Dhania Crust on a Salad with Chinese Rock Sugar Dressing

The first cookbook I ever bought myself was Provocative Cuisine by Kitchenboy (aka Braam Kruger). Yes, that is an AGE RESTRICTION on the cover. That's how you know it's a good one.

This is the first recipe in that book. I hasten to add that this is also the first recipe book I read all the way through. It is more than just a bunch of recipes, it is a work of art. You should buy it. Go, now.

In the meantime, let me tell you about this amazing tuna.

You start with the dressing. Melt 50g chinese rock sugar in 50ml rice vinegar and 50ml white wine vinegar. Add 50ml rice wine (if you have it, which I didn't). The recipe does everything in slow steps, but I was in a hurry, so I just threw everything in. So, throw in a dash of soy sauce, 15g fresh ginger (or, if you're me, a chunk, chopped up into pieces), an onion, 2 cloves of garlic, a spring onion and 15ml dhania (which google tells me is coriander). The recipe then says "infuse for 3 hours", which of course, I didn't have time for because I was not that organised. I just left it there while I made the rest.

Then, in a bowl, mix two tablespoons of black pepper, 4 tablespoons of chopped basil, 1 tablespoon of chopped dhania (coriander). I will say I just used the dry stuff, which is probably a travesty, but it was still delicious. Roll the tuna around in it.

The recipe has a complicated thing involving shaping the tuna into discs. I didn't bother with that.

Season with salt, and sear in a hot hot pan. He says, "Aim for the thinnest possible whitening of the crust, remaining raw inside". He's right. NOM.

The salad is just cucumber chopped into sticks, some blanched snow peas and a handful of bean sprouts.

Make a pile of salad, dribble the dressing over it and around the plate, pop the tuna steak on top, and dot the plate with some wasabi.

This is what mine looked like:


Pretty delicious looking huh? 

Pretty delicious tasting too, I tell you what! The flavours marry beautifully. It was incredible. 

NOM. 



No comments: