Friday 2 December 2011

Sauted Apple with Syrup and Mascarpone

This might be one of the more decadent desserts I have made in a long while.

Basically, you make a syrup with butter, castor sugar, Marsala (I used sherry), cream and honey. It's like a sugar and fat party in a saucepan. Then you saute apples (cored, peeled and quartered) in olive oil till they're golden brown. Pour the sauce over them, dollop on some Mascarpone (cause obviously there wasn't enough fat in that syrup), and sprinkle with walnuts.

 It is completely bloody beautiful to eat. But I could physically feel the bad-for-me afterwards. But oh, the decadence!!

The syrup is amazing. The first taste just explodes in your mouth. It threatens to be too sweet (and the recipe definitely made too much), but the mascarpone undercuts it, and neutralises some of the sweet. The apples are perfect. The walnuts a mastershot.

If you're looking for something quick and simple that looks really complex and fancy, this is a good option.

Ratings:
Me: Thumbs up, though my pancreas disagrees.
Husband: Thumbs up
Student: Thumbs up
Fussy Teen: Thumbs down. (I guess dessert shouldn't have fruit in it. I dunno.)

No comments: